Job Title: Naturalist Internship
Organization: John D. MacArthur Beach State Park
Location: Palm Beach, Florida
MBSP, Palm Beach County’s only state park, is situated on a barrier island between the Atlantic Ocean and the Lake Worth Lagoon. The Park is made up of 438 acres of pristine coastal land and contains four different communities or habitats including seven species of plants and twenty-two species of animals on the endangered or threatened list. MacArthur Beach is truly an “Island in Time.”
The Naturalist Intern will gain experience in:
– Implementing Natural Science Education Programs
– Facilitating Science Summer Camp Programs
– Curriculum writing and program development
– Public speaking and leadership
– Volunteer engagement
– Animal care (educational exhibit fish, sea turtles, reptiles)
The Naturalist Intern will develop an extensive knowledge of:
– Local flora/fauna
– The ecosystems of MBSP
– Florida Park Service
State of Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and MBSP regulations, procedures and policies will be followed and enforced.
- Reports to the Director of Education (DOE) for all duties assigned
- Facilitates hands-on Natural Science Education Programs and Science Summer Camp programs
- Daily office work
- Assists in the development of publications, brochures, news releases and registration materials
- Other duties as needed
- Bachelors Degree in environmental education, biology, environmental studies, ecology or a related field required
- Desire to teach children and adults in an outdoor setting. Prior field experience is a plus
- Enthusiasm and dedication to learn and master curriculum
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must have proficient computer skills: Microsoft Office programs including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel, etc.
- Must be professional, well organized, and safety conscious
- Must be a team player and also able to take on leadership roles and responsibilities
- Must have ability to deal professionally, effectively and courteously with other employees, volunteers and the public
- Must be flexible in working hours and available for weekend and/or evening hours and special events
- Naturalist Interns are not employees of the Florida Park Service nor the Friends of MacArthur Beach State Park, Inc. Naturalist Interns are volunteers for MBSP, Florida Park Service.
- Naturalist Interns may elect to receive a stipend to help cover expenses incurred during their volunteer intern service.
- Limited housing is available, at no fee, for interns providing full time hours. If selected for housing, an intern will share a housing facility with other interns.
Please email Cheryl@macarthurbeach.org and request a Naturalist Internship Application.