Job Title: Marine Education Associate/Assistant
Organization: Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (LUMCON)
Location: DeFelice Marine Center in Cocodrie, Louisiana
Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (LUMCON)’s purpose is to enable the next generation of marine scientist and ocean literate citizen. We will reach this goal by providing meaningful and relevant place-based and skill-based experiences for all visitors while aiming to have significant impacts on Louisiana’s diverse citizenry including those populations underrepresented and underserved in marine science.
The role of the Marine Education Associate/Assistant is to support, facilitate, and ensure high-quality experiences for all visitors within the LUMCON Marine Education Program. This includes leading field, lab, and classroom activities for a wide variety of audiences at the DeFelice Marine Center and off-site field locations. The Marine Education Associate/Assistant will also be responsible for some travel to classrooms, festivals, and other community events to educate people about the goals and mission of LUMCON and cover topics about marine science. All activities should be in accordance with the LUMCON Education Mission Statement.
The Marine Education Associate/Assistant will assist with the education and outreach programs of the Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium. The Marine Education Associate/Assistant will work under the direction of the Associate Director of Education and Outreach. This position requires extensive fieldwork (including on boats), weekends, longer days, and travel to various events around the state.
- Deliver content rich and hands-on activities in a professional and grade-appropriate way
- Ensure the safety and wellbeing of all visitors to the marine center
- Enforce all LUMCON Rules and policies
- Make sure that all classroom and lab spaces are clean and ready for anyone who may need it for other programs
- Travel and deliver educational activities at off-site events such as festivals, in-school visits, special programs
- Chaperoning of participates during LUMCON events
- Assist with program development
- Work to develop program materials such as posters, brochures, PowerPoint presentations, binders, lesson plans, etc.
- Assist in data gathering for reports or grant progress reporting
- Assist with display aquarium maintenance and animal husbandry
- B.S. with teaching experience or M.S. in science with an environmental focus; marine science training preferred.Desired Qualifications
Above average communication skills (written and oral)
Ability to work in the field, lab, and classroom situations with large groups of people
Good people skills and classroom management
First Aid/CPR knowledge
Ability to lift 50 pounds
Good swimming skills
A letter of interest, curriculum vitae and three relevant references to Murt Conover, LUMCON Associate Director of Education & Outreach (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled.