NOAA’s Office of Response and Restoration
Freestone Environmental Services, Inc., (www.gofreestone.com) a multi-disciplinary consulting firm, seeks a talented individual to serve as a Policy Analyst to support the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Office of Response and Restoration (OR&R — www.response.restoration.noaa.gov). This position will be located in Silver Spring, MD. OR&R is a program office that responds to threats in order to protect and restore coastal resources. To do this OR&R provides scientific response to releases of oil, chemicals, and contaminants; works to reduce, remove and better understand the impacts of marine debris; and protects and restores the nation’s trust natural resources.
- Serve as analyst and coordinator for specific program, policy and communication actions with subject matter experts and office management. Maintain regular communication with and provide timely responses to the NOS Policy and Constituent Affairs Division.
- Coordinate and implement an innovative and proactive legislative strategy that builds awareness of OR&R core capabilities with members of Congress and external partners. Craft and maintain legislative briefing materials and responses to Congressional queries. Track legislation and monitor progress of bills relevant to OR&R and federal partners. Provide timely reports to OR&R Chief of Staff on status of relevant legislation.
- Coordinate and implement an innovative and proactive stakeholder outreach strategy that builds awareness of and partnerships with OR&R. Craft and maintain outreach materials. Track and engage with stakeholders that have priorities relevant to OR&R and federal partners to generate mutual program interest and support.
- Develop and maintain strategic communications tools to enhance information sharing across OR&R divisions as it pertains to external partnerships and engagement, legislative tracking, Congressional briefing materials, and minutes from meetings with Congress and external partners.
- Support OR&R Chief of Staff in program planning and evaluation process, including routine evaluation of OR&R contributions to NOAA Annual Operating Plan milestones, performance measures and accomplishments.
- Support development of annual OR&R Outreach Strategic Plan as a crucial member of the OR&R Outreach Team.
- Implement and/or manage short and long-term special projects as needs arise.
- Bachelor’s degree in public policy, environmental science or related field with a minimum of three years’ experience in a writing/editing and/or communications capacity; a Master’s degree is preferred.
- Experience working with a federal agency or Congress.
- Self-motivated, creative and energetic with an ability to work well individually and cooperatively with a range of individuals.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work on several projects simultaneously and to shift priorities as needed.
- Proven ability to work both as a member of a team and independently.
- Prior experience working for an organization in a marine science related field is preferred, but not required.
- Prior experience with Drupal or other content management systems is also helpful, but not required.