In support of CSUMB’s Student Success initiatives under the general supervision of the Dean of the College of Science and the day-to-day work direction of the faculty Program Director, the Science Education Coordinator will coordinate the science education, student success, and outreach components of several initiatives within the CSUMB College of Science and provide support for grant-funded initiatives including: Research Based Interventions to Increase STEM Degree Attainment, Monterey Bay Regional Ocean Sciences Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Center for Coastal and Marine Ecosystems, and Polar Interdisciplinary Coordinated Education (Polar-ICE) program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Organize, plan, and deliver STEM student professional development and student success workshops as well as workshops or training modules for mentors and educators
- Develop and deliver cohort-building programs and events to build community and support STEM student success and engagement; connect students with internship and research opportunities. Provide feedback to students on oral and written proposals, applications, and reports
- Assist faculty leads with tracking students and participants, program evaluation and assessment, and other reports, presentations, and publications
- Assist with recruiting STEM students via local community college visits, and more broadly via dissemination of informational flyers, list-serves, websites, and at conferences. Develop strong web and social media presence for programs and services
- Participate in planning meetings and conference calls; provide day-to-day work direction for graduate assistant, peer mentors, and support staff
- Coordinate mentors and projects, and oversee logistical support for student internships and for students participating in conferences and symposia
- Manage project budgets and ensure accurate tracking
Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Extensive knowledge of: organizational development, planning and structure; principles of administrative, personnel and fiscal management; statistics and research methodologies, STEM education curricula and pedagogies, and program assessment. Knowledge of educational self-efficacy/self-belief, goal setting, commitment, resilience, student leadership, STEM career and professional development, and STEM graduate school preparation. Knowledge and experience with grant proposal writing, grant awards, and required documentation and reporting.
Advanced computer proficiency including spreadsheets, ability to collect and analyze data and information, solve problems and draw conclusions from an analysis of data, and organize and present data and information in a concise and logical manner. Knowledge of web content management systems and graphics software to update websites. Ability to prepare and present oral and written reports, presentations, publications, and proposals that are clear, concise, and comprehensive, and demonstrate communication and interpersonal skills utilizing tact and diplomacy.
Ability to: develop and implement co-curricular programs that enhance academics and support STEM students from diverse backgrounds; plan and conduct workshops and classes using innovative teaching techniques; identify, develop, and maintain effective working relationships with administration, faculty, students, and community partners; originate new different or creative solutions to student problems; gain acceptance of program operations based on positive working relationships and recognition and understanding of the need for compromise; understand the roles and responsibilities of others and to take into account the variety of backgrounds, motivations, and goals of participants and partners; manage complex projects, work independently and collaboratively, and work within a project management framework of deadlines and deliverables, and complete tasks on time.
For more information, please view the official job posting.