Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Resources
BTNEP is actively involved in efforts to safe-guard Louisiana’s precious wetlands from the potential impacts of the massive oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico. News, volunteer information and more can be found on this page.
A satellite image taken by NASA during the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill shows the oil slick in the Gulf of Mexico, just East of Plaquemines Parish, LA. (NASA Photo)
Boom placement in the Gulf of Mexico during the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill. (AP Photo)
Oil Spill Fact Sheets:
- Spill Cleanup Factsheet
- Boom Factsheet
Please visit www.gulfresponse.org to learn about the partnership BTNEP has entered into to help assist with volunteer efforts in response to the oil leak.
- All volunteers should visit www.gulfresponse.org to register and for the latest information.
- To report oiled wildlife, please call 1-866-557-1401 and leave a message. Messages will be checked hourly.
- To report oil spill related damage, please call 1-800-440-0858.
- To report oiled shoreline or request volunteer information, please call 1-866-448-5816.
Deep Water Horizon Archived News Articles:
May 18, 2010
May 16, 2010
May 15, 2010
May 11, 2010
- Coastal Bays Oil is the Gulf’s Most Unwelcome Guest
- Terrebonne, Lafourche Face Different Challenges (Houma Today)
May 10, 2010
May 07, 1020
May 06, 2010
May 05, 2010
- NPR’s “Between the Lines” Program
- Slick Well Inundated with Dispersants (Wall Street Journal)
- Gulf Oil Spill: Why Booms, in Short Supply, May Not Save the Day (The Christian Science Monitor)
May 01, 2010
- From Fishermen: Lawsuits and Promises to Help (Houma Courier)
- Gulf Coast Oil Spill: How to Help (USA Today)
- Oil may be a Stickier Problem (The Times-Picayune)
- Oil Leak Continues to Spread and Reaches Land in LA (WLBT3, NBC in Jackson, MS)
April 30, 2010
- WWL RADIO interview with Kerry St. Pé (WWL AM 870)
- Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill Could Involve Heavier Grade of Oil (The Times-Picayune)
- Oil Bears Down on LA Coast (The Advocate)
- For Local Parishes, Better to Act ‘As If’ (Houma Courier)
- Fire on the Bayou (The Huffington Post)
April 29, 2010
- New Spill Estimates Mean New Worries for Fishermen (Houma Courier)
- Gulf Spill is Really a River (The Times-Picayune)
April 28, 2010