Position: Program Director
Location: Thibodaux, LA
The Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (LUMCON) (www.lumcon.edu) and the Management Conference of the Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary Program (BTNEP) (www.btnep.org) invite applications for the position of Program Director. BTNEP is a unique and complex program of the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency and the State of Louisiana’s Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium. The mission of the Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary Program (BTNEP) is the preservation and restoration of the Barataria-Terrebonne estuarine system, the 4.2 million-acre region between the Atchafalaya and Mississippi Rivers. BTNEP strives to rebuild and protect the estuary for future generations through the
implementation of a Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan, a science-based, consensus-driven plan that utilizes partnerships focused on the estuary’s rich cultural, economic, and natural resources. The Program Director serves as the principal spokesperson and advocate for BTNEP and provides overall direction to a professional program staff to ensure adherence to program goals and objectives. The ideal BTNEP Program Director should have an understanding of water quality, wetlands ecology and processes, fish and wildlife, as well as the socio-economic aspects of the region. The ideal Program Director should demonstrate proven leadership, be effective at facilitating groups of scientists, educators, resource managers, and industry representatives and have the ability to guide these groups to a consensus-based decision.
- Provide visioned leadership, direction and consonance in the development and implementation of policies, plans, and programs which provide a balance between development and conservation, in accordance with the CCMP.
- Provide support to the Chair of the BTNEP Management Conference. Work closely with Management Conference members, legislators, and agencies to facilitate and coordinate implementation of the Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan (CCMP).
- Directs program staff and assigns work assignments to ensure Program activities are consistent with program goals.
- Oversees and manages major program activities including, but not limited to: Formal Education, Public Education and Outreach, Invasive Species, Water Quality, Plant Material propagation, Public Involvement, and other Scientific/Technical programs.
- Oversee the development of an annual work plan, management of contracts, preparation of grant applications, and compliance with reporting requirements and purchasing procedures of the State of Louisiana and EPA.
- Oversees the development and implementation of project proposals consistent with the CCMP for funding through various state and federal programs.
- Represents BTNEP at annual meetings of the EPA and the Association of National Estuary Programs.
- Represent BTNEP on state, national, and international boards and committees and serve as principal spokesperson for BTNEP at public events, to the media, and to local, state, and national legislators and officials.
- Responsible for securing funds for project implementation and financial management of federal, state, local and private funding allocated to the program.
- Recommend programs, formulate policies, and operational plans to the Management Conference to carry out the established goals of the Program.
- Recommend modifications to the CCMP to the Management Conference when conditions warrant.
- Seeks opportunities for enhancing education and training for Director and staff.
A doctorate degree from an accredited college or university in science, natural or physical science, environmental studies, environmental science or related fields plus 10 years of full-time experience with some of those years being in a management and/or leadership capacity of
an environmental or coastal restoration program.
A master’s degree from an accredited college or university in the degrees listed above or related fields; plus 12 years of the required experience.
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in the degrees listed above, or related fields; plus 15 years of the required experience.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive and negotiable based on experience.
Resumes and cover letters should be submitted electronically by Wednesday, September 30, 2020 to Eddie M. Filce Jr., LUMCON Human Resource Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by mail to Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium, 8124 Louisiana 56, Chauvin, LA 70344.</[>